National Safe Work Month 2021
October is National Safe Work Month, and the month is an opportunity for Territory businesses and workers to get their workplace involved and commit to creating healthier and safer workplace.
This year's national theme is Think Safe. Work Safe. Be Safe.
The focal point for Northern Territory's Safe Work Month activities is the launch of the NT WorkSafe Strategic Plan 2021-2026. This five year strategic plan will guide NT WorkSafe's activities in improving work health and safety outcomes across the Northern Territory.
Show your commitment to improving safety by registering for one of the free events, or organise your own workplace event during the month.
NT WorkSafe activities
|Date||Event Type||Topic or Focus||Register|
|4 - 10 Oct||Workplace Visits||Darwin, Katherine, Alice Springs and Nhulunbuy workplace visits with a focus on Mental Health.||N/A|
|11 - 17 Oct||Workplace Visits||Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs workplace visits with a focus on Body Stressing.||N/A|
|12 Oct||Seminar||Work health and safety includes mental health||In person|
|13 Oct||Seminar/Webinar||Work health and safety includes mental health||In person | Online|
|13 Oct||Webinar||Mental health and wellbeing at work||Online|
|14 Oct||Seminar/Webinar||Work health and safety includes mental health||In person | Online|
|15 Oct||Seminar/Webinar||Work health and safety includes mental health||In person | Online|
|18 - 24 Oct||Workplace Visits||Darwin, Katherine, Alice Springs and Tennant Creek workplace visits with a focus on Fall from Heights.||N/A|
|21 Oct||Webinar||Combating the rise of musculoskeletal injuries in the hospitality industry||Online|
|25 - 31 Oct||Workplace Visits||Darwin, Katherine and Alice Springs workplace visits with a focus on Contact with Electricity||N/A|
|26 Oct||Webinar||Does your safety management system meet WHS legislation requirements?||Online|
|28 Oct||Webinar||Safety first when excavating and working near power||Online|
|Date||Event type||Topic or Focus||Register|
|25 Oct||Forum||Master Builders NT - Women in Construction & Co Forum||In person|
Other ways to get involved
Safety chat over a cuppa
Safe Work Australia is encouraging all Australian workplaces to have a safety chat over a cuppa. A safe and healthy workplace is more easily achieved when everyone is involved in identifying risks to health and safety. Talk openly about health and safety concerns and work together to find solutions. Get your workplace involved with these four easy steps:
- Download Safe Work Australia's simple Safety Chat checklist.
- Promote your chat by downloading Safe Work Australia's editable poster and bunting today
- If your chat is online, download their National Safe Work Month video background and share with your colleagues
- Upload a picture of your ‘Safety chat over a cuppa’ on your socials using the hashtags #ThinkWorkBeSafe and #safeworkmonth.
Prepare for the cyclone season
The official start of the cyclone season is 1 November, and Top End workplaces should start the following to prepare:
- Review and if required, update your emergency plan.
- Update your staff emergency contacts list.
- Clean up your worksite.
- Secure materials and equipment at worksite, including temporary structures like scaffolding.
- If materials and equipment can’t be safely secured, there should be a plan to remove and safely stored them.
- Assign and clearly communicate staff roles and responsibilities before a cyclone is declared.
- Close your business and give your workers plenty of time to go home and seek shelter, before strong winds develop.
The SecureNT website has further information on Preparing your business for an emergency.
Review your work health and safety policies and procedures
Hold a planning day and consult with your workers. Workplace consultation is a key component to improving safety in the workplace.
Review incidents and near misses at your workplace for the last 12 months. If you see a trend in similar incidents or near misses happening, you need to review your policies and procedures for that task.
The following Codes of Practice's can help you consult and review your work health and safety policy and procedures:
- How to manage work health and safety risks
- Work health and safety consultation, cooperation and coordination