Understanding Industrial Manslaughter - Alice Springs Information Session
The potential of introducing industrial manslaughter remains a hot work health and safety topic in Australia despite a some jurisdictions already passing legislation and introducing the offence. Unlike the harmonised work health and safety laws, the industrial manslaughter offence is not harmonised, with differences between each state and territory. Industrial manslaughter became an offence under the Northern Territory’s work health and safety laws on 1 February 2020.
This information session will cover:
- The current national situation and why the Northern Territory adopted the industrial manslaughter offence.
- What constitutes industrial manslaughter, who is captured and what are the penalties.
- The difference between manslaughter under the criminal code and industrial manslaughter.
- The work health and safety offences.
- Which duties, if breached, could attract an industrial manslaughter charge.
Topic: Understanding Industrial Manslaughter.
Presenter: Chris Wicks, Director of Regulatory Reform - NT WorkSafe.
Date: Wednesday 1 June 2022. 10.30am to 11.30am AND 3.00pm to 4.00pm
Venue: Northern Territory Chamber of Commerce Board Room, Shop 5, Alice Springs Plaza, 36 Todd Mall, Alice Springs.
RVSP Essential: To attend, register via this Eventbrite link 30 minutes before the start of the event.