The Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Regulations 2011 (the Regulations) require various asbestos-related notifications to be made to the Regulator (NT WorkSafe).
The notifications provide NT WorkSafe with risk based information so that resources can be allocated to target compliance and enforcement actions in areas of greatest risk to health and safety.
Notification of asbestos removal work
Under Regulation 466, a licensed asbestos removalist must notify NT WorkSafe, in writing, at least 5 days before commencing licensed asbestos removal work.
Licensed asbestos removal work is the removal of:
- any amount of friable (Class A) asbestos, or
- more than 10 square metres of non-friable (Class B) asbestos.
Five days’ notice of asbestos removal work is not required and asbestos removal can be started immediately where there is:
- a sudden and unexpected event that may cause persons to be exposed. For example: the discovery of asbestos on or near a roadway and requiring immediate removal to minimise disruption to traffic, or
- an unexpected breakdown of an essential service(*) that requires immediate asbestos removal work to allow the service to continue.
Where asbestos removal is required immediately, NT WorkSafe must be notified:
- immediately by telephone, and
- in writing within 24 hours of the telephone notification.
- Essential services mean the supply of gas, water, sewerage, telecommunications, electricity and similar services – chemicals, fuel and refrigerant in pipes or lines – as defined in Regulation 5.
For information about becoming a licensed asbestos removalist visit the asbestos licensing page.
Notification of respirable asbestos fibre levels at more than 0.02 fibres/ml
Regulation 476 requires a licensed removalist undertaking Class A removal work to immediately stop the removal work and notify NT WorkSafe if respirable asbestos fibre levels of more than 0.02 fibres/ml are recorded at the asbestos removal area.
Licensed asbestos removalist can notify NT WorkSafe on 1800 019 115.
Emergency demolition of a structure or plant involving asbestos
Regulations 454 and 455 deal with emergency notification procedures at workplaces and residential premises where asbestos is fixed or installed in a structure or plant that is structurally unsound or at risk of imminent collapse.
NT WorkSafe must be notified in writing immediately after the person becomes aware of the emergency and before demolition of the structure or plant is commenced.
For a workplace emergency, the notification must be made by the person with management or control of the workplace.
For an emergency at residential premises, the notification must be made by the person conducting a business or undertaking who is to carry out the demolition.
Related Forms and Resources
|Notification amendment of asbestos removal|
|Notification of asbestos removal|