Entry permit holders
A union official who holds a Northern Territory work health and safety entry permit has the right to enter a workplace to:
- Inquire into a suspected contravention of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011, or
- Consult and advise workers on work health and safety matters.
To obtain an entry permit, a union official must be nominated by a union through the Application for Entry Permit form, and satisfactorily complete prescribed training. When exercising their right of entry, the entry permit holder must be able to produce their entry permit card.
CFMEU, MUA and TCFUA amalgamation
The Construction, Forestry, Mining and Energy Union (CFMEU), the Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) and the Textile, Clothing and Footwear Union of Australia (TCFUA) have amalgamated after their application under section 44 of the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009 was approved.
The amalgamated union, known as the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (CFMMEU), came into effect on 27 March 2018.
Northern Territory work health and safety entry permits held by CFMEU and MUA members remain valid and continue in effect until the relevant expiry date of each permit.
For more information on the amalgamation visit the Fair Work Commission website.
Register of entry permit holders
Entry permit holders as at 24 May 2019.
This public register of entry permit holders is provided in accordance with Section 151 of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011 and Regulation 31 of the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Regulations 2011.
Entry permit holder (EPH) training
The EPH course offered by NT WorkSafe normally runs for a full day and addresses:
- The reasons for an entry permit
- EPH obligations under the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act 2011
- Familiarisation with the documentation
- Good practice in resolving work health and safety matters for workers
- Working with NT WorkSafe.
Course dates for 2020 are:
- Thursday 27 February
- Wednesday 27 May
- Thursday 27 August
- Friday 27 November
1. Scheduled training may not proceed if there are insufficient applications 10 working days prior to the advertised date.
2. Alternative training dates may be negotiated for groups of 5 or more.
To apply for training, submit an Application for Entry Permit with the 'New' box ticked.
|Application for WHS entry permit|
|Entry permit holder - Sample notice of entry|