Elevating work platform operation - Licence requirements

This information bulletin outlines the licensing requirements to operate an elevating work platform in the Northern Territory. The use of elevated work platform in some circumstances is considered high risk work (HRW) and requires the operator to hold an appropriate licence to perform high risk work issued by NT WorkSafe.

The licensing of workers aims to ensure that they have the skills and knowledge to perform high risk work in a safe manner so to reduce the health and safety risk to themselves and other persons in the workplace.

Class of high risk work (HRW) licence for elevated work platform (EWP)

Boom-type elevating work platforms (boom length 11 metres or more)

This class covers the operation of a telescoping device, hinged device, or articulated device or any combination of these used to support a platform on which personnel, equipment and materials may be elevated to perform work and where the boom length is 11 metres or more.

The 11 metre boom length shall be taken to mean the greater of the following:

  • the vertical distance from the surface supporting the boom type elevating work platform to the floor of the platform with the platform extended to its maximum height
  • the horizontal distance from the centre point of the boom’s rotation to the outer edge of the platform with the platform extended to its maximum distance.

Scissor lifts

A high risk work licence is not required for the operation of scissor lifts. Although operators of scissor lifts are not required to be licensed under the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Regulations, a person conducting a business or undertaking (PCBU) has a duty to ensure the competency of the scissor lift operator, so far as is reasonably practicable.

Examples of how to assess the competency of a person to operate a scissor lift may include a review of the work history and training records of a person, conduct appropriate challenge tests and have an experienced competent worker of the PCBU assess a new worker on behalf of the PCBU.

Operators of the plant listed above could demonstrate their competency in the operation of particular plant by:

  • Holding a statement of attainment or other nationally recognised qualification
  • Successfully completing training at an industry training school
  • Completing on-the-job training under supervision of an experienced competent person
  • Many Registered Training Organisations (RTOs) also provide a fee for service called verification of competency conducted by an accredited assessor aligned to that RTO.

Applying for a licence

Applications should be made using the form:


Information bulletins