Forklift operation - Licence requirements

This information bulletin outlines the licensing requirements to operate a forklift in the Northern Territory. The use of a forklift is considered high risk work (HRW) and requires the operator to hold an appropriate licence to perform high risk work issued by NT WorkSafe.

The licensing of workers aims to ensure that they have the skills and knowledge to perform high risk work in a safe manner so to reduce the health and safety risk to themselves and other persons in the workplace.

Classes of high risk work (HRW) licences for forklifts

Forklift truck

  • covers the operation of a powered industrial truck equipped with lifting media made up of a mast and an elevating load carriage to which is attached a pair of fork arms or other arms that can be raised 900mm or more above the ground but does not include a pedestrian-operated truck or a pallet truck.

Order-picking forklift truck

  • covers the operation of a forklift truck where the operator’s controls are incorporated with the lifting media and elevate within the lifting media.

Frequently Asked Questions

I am a mechanic who repairs and tests forklift trucks. Am I required to hold a forklift licence?

People who maintain, repair, test and service forklifts trucks are not required to hold a licence in certain situations as outlined in the Work Health and Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Regulations 2011:

Regulation 82

(2)   A person who carries out high risk work involving plant is not required to be licensed if:

(a)   the work is carried out at a workplace solely for the purpose of the manufacture, testing, trialing, installation, commissioning, maintenance, servicing, repair, alteration, demolition or disposal of the plant at that workplace or moving the plant within the workplace; and

(b)   the plant is operated or used without a load except when standard weight loads with predetermined fixing points are used for calibration of the plant.

(3)   For the purposes of sub regulation (2) (a), moving does not include loading plant onto, or unloading plant from, the vehicle or equipment used to move the plant.

Applying for a licence

Applications should be made using the form:

Additional information


Information bulletins