Enforceable Undertaking - Alcan Gove Pty Ltd
The enforceable undertaking is a legally-binding agreement between NT Worksafe and Alcan Gove Pty Ltd, undertaken as an alternative to prosecution under the 'Work Health Safety (National Uniform Legislation) Act'.
The regulator has accepted the enforceable undertaking under section 216 of the Act and is satisfied that it offers significant and ongoing commitments to improve work health and safety outcomes and compliance beyond what is required by the law.
The commitments include:
- Introduction of a mandatory 'Human Performance' safety program focused on identifying and assessing the human behaviours that impact safety performance in a workplace and equipping workers and leaders with the tools they need to manage those factors.
- Production of a training video based on the incident, to be used to communicate the lessons learnt and the importance of isolation in industrial environments.
- Provision of internal resources to develop and conduct mining safety courses at the proposed Gumatj Mining Centre.
- Delivery of presentations regarding the incident at relevant industry forums.
- Provision of funding to community groups to promote or undertake activities related to marine safety.
- Provision of funding for a subsidised St John's First Aid course for Nhulunbuy residents.
- Provision of funding to subsidise the cost of specialist health and safety systems advice and support for local businesses.
- Regulator's costs.
Executive Director of Worksafe NT, Stephen Gelding said the undertaking offers a similar deterrent to a successful legal proceeding and will result in a tangible improvement to safety in the workplace, in the mining industry and in the Nhulunbuy community.
"Financial commitments to the undertaking have a total minimum expenditure of over $945,000," Mr Gelding said.
"NT WorkSafe is monitoring the enforceable undertaking and will continue to do so until the undertaking is completely discharged."
Find out more on the enforceable undertaking for Alcan Gove Pty Ltd.