Store, sell and possess

You must not store, sell or possess explosives on premises except under and in accordance with the terms and conditions of a licence.

You may store limited quantities of explosives under exemptions listed under Regulation 91 of the Dangerous Goods Regulations 1985.

A person who possesses shopgoods fireworks that are not intended for sale is exempt during an approved period.

Import / export explosives

Under Regulation 84 of the Dangerous Goods Regulations 1985, a person wanting to import or export prescribed explosives into or out of the Northern Territory (other than safety cartridges and distress signals) must be given approval by the Competent Authority.

Applications must be submitted to NT WorkSafe using the application to import/export explosives form.

Once the permit has been approved a person who imports or exports explosives must notify the Competent Authority of the arrival of each delivery of prescribed explosives into the Territory.

This can be done by submitting the NT WorkSafe notice of arrival – Prescribed explosives form.

Authorisation of an explosive

You may request the Competent Authority to authorise, in accordance with Regulation 5E of the Dangerous Goods Regulations 1985, the handling of an explosive or class of explosive.

Related Forms and Resources

Dangerous Goods Transport - Class 1 Explosives
Application for a dangerous goods drivers licence - Class 1 explosives
Application for a vehicle licence to transport explosives
Application for an explosives business licence
Application for authorisation of an explosive
Application to import/export explosives